The Costume Society of America’s 41st Annual National Conference “Alamo a la Mode: Defending the Importance of Dress” is being held in San Antonio, Texas this year, May 27-30 and I’m happy to count myself among the presenters !
My paper, “Hidden Treasures: The Importance of Dress at Turtle Bay Exploration Park” (3:20pm on Friday, May 29) will include a wide swath of history related to local, state, national, and even international fashion trends, as well as some Ethnographic and Archeological ‘clothing’ (and a good, but surprising, dose of honest-to-goodness Couture!) Also, Nadine Stewart who contributes exhibition reviews regularly to Fashion Historia is presenting “The World According to (the Men of) The Illustrated Milliner, 1900-1920″ at 8:30am on Friday.
Though I’m only going to be there for one day, I’m still eager to see the presentations by my colleagues. Here is a run-down of those presenters headed out from my own ‘golden state’ of California. I hope to see you there (Seriously! please leave a note in the comments, I’d love to meet readers!)
- Shu-Hwa-Lin (with Li King) “Street Fashion styles influence by Chinese culture”
- Shelly Foote “The Growth of the Ready-to-Wear Industry in California”
- Meghan Grossman Hansen “The Michel Arnaud Fashion Photography Archive” (at FIDM)
- Judi Diwanis “Men’s Nineteenth Century Period Patterns: Preserving the Craft”
- Anne Bissonnette “Chemise Dresses and Embodiment Practices in France 1778-1799″
- Sarah Woodyard “‘To her Ribbands and Lace, and Caps give a Grace': Fashioning Gender in Eighteenth-Century Women’s Caps”
- Kelly-Reddy “Best The Politicization of Fashion in Virtual Queer Spaces: A Case Study of Saint Harridan and Tomboy Tailors”
- Heather Vaughan Lee Hidden “Treasures: The Importance of Dress at Turtle Bay Exploration Park”
- Beverly Chico “The Importance of Hats in Children’s Literature”
- Shu-Hwa-Lin “Exploring Chinese Design theory from Dragon Robes”
- Helen S. Koo (with Seoha Min) “Exploration of 3D Texture Design Technique with Organza Fabric”
- Casey Stannard “Robe de Style Revisited”
- Marie Bodtkin “The Feminine Gaze: Female Fashion Photographers from Midcentury America”