“Felt” at the Oakland Museum of California (free with admission), will include:
- Sheep shearing (live sheep!) by farmer Joe Sanchez;
- Bicycle-powered wool carding by Oakland-based felt artisans Felt the Sun;
- The making of a giant felt rug with artist (and CCA instructor) Ashley Helvey;
- a short talk by Ariel Rivers about her family’s sheep ranch; and
- sheep dogs in action, with trainers from Dairy Dell Dog Training.
The event will conclude with a screening of the acclaimed documentary Sweetgrass (2010), directed by Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Illisa Barbash, about the last major sheep drive across America’s Big Sky Country.
Additional details here: http://museumca.org/theoaklandstandard/seed-circus
In the meantime, here is the trailer for Sweetgrass: