The 100th Annual College Art Association Conference is being held this year in Los Angeles on Feburary 22-25, 2012. To my delight, there is a session this year focused on Costume and Fashion History collections titled, Deconstructing Costume Histories: Rereading Identities in Fashion Collections and Exhibitions on Wednesday, February 22, 9:30 AM–12:00 PM.
Topics to be discussed include:
- Inventing Arabian Nights: Twentieth-Century Qatari Dress Christina Lindholm, Virginia Commonwealth University
- “That Continual Vanishing Away”: Aesthetic Dress and Its Absences Sally-Anne Huxtable, Northumbria University
- In Their Shoes: Telling the Histories of the Makers, Sellers, and Wearers of Dress: Elizabeth Semmelhack, The Bata Shoe Museum
- Locating Fashion’s Everyday Cheryl Buckley, Northumbria University
- Contemporary Fashion History in Museums: A Case Study of MoMu, the Fashion Museum of the Province of Antwerp Marco Pecorari, Stockholm University
Those who are already CAA members should certainly consder attending. For a full range of prices see the CAA website.